Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index Lada USA Discussion Board
International Lada Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
LadaUSA Store

Another Transmission Q...

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Technical Information - Do you need help with your Lada?
View previous topic :: View next topic
nsnivaseeker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:45 pm Post subject: Another Transmission Q... Reply with quote

So I just got my slave and master cyclinders changed... and the clutch works great! Very Happy (thanks Carmine)

So I went to crappytire to get locking pins for my new window handle's on (again Thanks)

on the way back as I was driving it felt as if it was hitting big bumps and she'd jolt forward. So I got home and reversed into the driveway and she was just screetching... so in reverse I screetch and forward it jolts and knocks...

Im thinking trans... also I checked it was low on oil... I filled it and no better... but what I found odd with the transfer case in neutral it still drove.... ????

nsnivaseeker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:14 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't got it checked yet but if the transmission is fubar'd I'll need to do some replacement.... I seem to remember someone saying something about another transmission that would fit on it because it would solve the problem of 5th gear problems (although Ive never had that), I'm pretty sure it was probably something FIAT but not sure.... does this ring a bell with anyone? Or was I just dreaming...
nivaman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:24 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiat 131 gearbox, it is approx 90mm longer but the bell housing fits to the Niva block and an added bonus is the starter motor sits on the left side of the engine (looking from the rear of engine).
You can fit the 131 box in place of the Niva box but need to cut some of the transmission tunnel to fit the gear lever and there will be 1" (25mm) clearance between the three finger output shaft on the box and the input of the transfer case.
This means you wont be able to use the Niva donut/u joint/CV joint arrangement and have to make something that fits between these two.
I have done this with a Fiat 131 gearbox and it is a good conversion to know the box will hold together under power, these boxes are known to be able to stand up to approx 400hp.
I moved the engine forwards 25mm and the transfer case backwards 25mm to fit the 131 box in place, its not something i would recommend doing as i had to shave the bottom of the bell housing where it bolts to the engine and bend the steering linkage between the steering box and idler arm to gain clearance for moving the engine forwards, and i had to cut and weld the transmission tunnel backwards to fit the transfer case.

[/img]
Dave7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:54 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard the Lada 4spd is much stronger. Also I believe the Lada Riva saloon (the rwd one) fits too.
Lada & Korean Parts

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:40 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing wrong with original 5 speed,just there owners Smile

www.ladaparts.com andrew@ladaparts.com
baxter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:47 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave7 wrote:
I've heard the Lada 4spd is much stronger. Also I believe the Lada Riva saloon (the rwd one) fits too.

Yep, Lada classic saloon 'boxes can be used. They're pretty much identical except the ratios in some of them.
However, swapping from a 4 to a 5-speed 'box (or vice versa) will need the rear mount as well as these are slightly different.
More info at: http://www.ladaniva.co.uk/baxter/resources/RivaBox.htm

I've never had a 4-speed, but they are reputed to be more reliable than the 5-speed.
I've had little luck with Lada 5-speeds myself - I've abused many pos non-Lada vehicles in my time and never broken a 'box in a standard vehicle. Until I owned a Niva. And then I went through two 5-speeds in as many years, and still don't have fifth gear or syncro into 2nd.
As the original 'box was essentially designed for a light-weight 1 litre car I suspect it's asking a bit much of it in a torquier and heavier 4x4, especially with the after-thought 5th gear added.

Last edited by baxter on Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Lada & Korean Parts

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:34 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

we have MANY niva owners as customers,& since we've been telling owners over the last few years not to use 5th under 90km/h,very very VERY rare to have problems......

usually abuse & neglect are he main problems with them.

and these were in 1500/1600 fiats,not 1100

www.ladaparts.com andrew@ladaparts.com

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Technical Information - Do you need help with your Lada? All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: