Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index Lada USA Discussion Board
International Lada Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
LadaUSA Store

Hello! My Eastern Bloc car collection.

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Your rides
View previous topic :: View next topic
turbofiat124

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:36 pm Post subject: Hello! My Eastern Bloc car collection. Reply with quote

Hi! My name is James and I live in East Tennessee. I've been a collector of pre-83 Fiats for about 20 years.

I do not own a Lada but have several Fiats and a couple of Eastern Bloc cars. A 1987 Yugo and a 1981 Trabant 601. I also own a 1980 Fiat 124 Spider and a 1980 Fiat 131 "Brava" among some other cars.

Here's my Yugo:

It has a 1500cc Fiat X 1/9 engine and a Saab T25 turbo.

Some more photos:

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/turbofiat/library/Yugo

My latest vehicle, my East German built 1981 Trabant 601 "S" I imported from Hungary:

It has a 28hp 2 stroke, cylinder air cooled engine.

More photos:

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/turbofiat/library/Trabant

I've got more albums of my other Fiats on my photobucket page.

I realize the "Vaz" was a copy of the Fiat 124 sedan but how many parts found their way into the Niva? I've known of several folks on various Fiat forums who have removed the old pushrod engine and transplanted a twin cam found in the Fiat Spider and Fiat 131. I see a lot of parts on the Niva that look familiar like the fushbox cover, washer fluid reservior, engine, radiator, etc.

I would like to have a Niva but in order to register one in Tennessee it has to be older than 30 years and have NO documentation. Which means I would need to destroy any paperwork that came with the car.

Now if I wanted one that was less than 25 years how could you go about registering a car from Canada since they don't use car titles up north?

Technically the TN DMV told me that a notorized bill of sale (if they have notory republics or equvilants in Canada) and a copy of the previous owner's registration, would substitute for a car title.

But sometimes it's a matter of how willing the lady (usually) who is working at the DMV that day will work with you.

Also I understand Lada's have not been sold in Canada since 1999. If that is true how many are left due to road salt? I have been to Canada about three times and have never seen a Lada on the road.

1980 Fiat 2000 Spider turbo
1980 Fiat 131 Brava
1987 Yugo 1500 turbo
1981 Trabant 601 "S"
Various other makes...

porschev812

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:04 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

you have some cool cars in that list-your Yugo is the nicest one I have seen in years! I went to a car auction at Murdo,SD in 1997 and there were two trabbies in good condition offered along with a 1953 Skoda in non-running,but restorable condition.Many parts of older ladas are identical to Fiat,but some are unique to lada-I have heard the lada engine was a fiat design that Fiat decided not to build and the design was handed to the Russians. I have instrument panel from '81 2106 lada and the gauges are almost identical to those from a '74 fiat 124 I stripped.Welcome BTW.
turbofiat124

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

porschev812 wrote:
you have some cool cars in that list-your Yugo is the nicest one I have seen in years! I went to a car auction at Murdo,SD in 1997 and there were two trabbies in good condition offered along with a 1953 Skoda in non-running,but restorable condition.Many parts of older ladas are identical to Fiat,but some are unique to lada-I have heard the lada engine was a fiat design that Fiat decided not to build and the design was handed to the Russians. I have instrument panel from '81 2106 lada and the gauges are almost identical to those from a '74 fiat 124 I stripped.Welcome BTW.

I wanted a Trabbi for 20+ years when I first saw them on TV back in 1989 but had to wait until they were old enough to register. Some people found ways back in the 1990s but I have no idea how they did it.

Plus before the internet I would have had trouble finding parts and learning how to repair them since they are somewhat simple/easy to work on but a totally unique car to anything else on the road. The motors are based off a DKW design but are more like snowmobile engines. They are "simple" if you know how to work on them. I bet I could do a Fiat brake job in total darkness I've done it so many times!

Funny you should mention guages, I've got a couple of 52mm Lada guages, an oil pressure and coolant temperature guage which appear to be Veglia copies but with metric and Cyrillic writing. The design looks like from the 1970s based on Fiat guages I've seen. I'll post some pictures.

One of my Fiat buddies brought them back from Hungary but I have no idea how to wire them up. I could probably flip a Veglia guage over and perhaps the terminals would be in the same location and I could use a Fiat wiring diagram. I was just afraid I might cross the terminals and fry them.

1980 Fiat 2000 Spider turbo
1980 Fiat 131 Brava
1987 Yugo 1500 turbo
1981 Trabant 601 "S"
Various other makes...
motorhomemikes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:39 pm Post subject: yugo Reply with quote

marvelous. highly under-rated car in Canada, simplicity cuts in on all the corrupt service facilities here....ha ha...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
djape1977

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:58 am Post subject: Reply with quote

connections on gauges from fiat 124 and lada 2103/2106 are the same

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Your rides All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: