Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index Lada USA Discussion Board
International Lada Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
LadaUSA Store

Lada Down

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Technical Information - Do you need help with your Lada?
View previous topic :: View next topic
cowboyjimmi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:49 pm Post subject: Lada Down Reply with quote

hi there i walked out of the bush the other day as i lost all power to the drive train,it wasnt the layshaft as is the usual suspect ,so any ideas would be helpful,i will also know more when i have it towed here today and start the dismantle

cowboyjimmi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:17 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

well layshaft is intact all u joints are fin clutch lever moves in and out engine starts ,but no transfer of power to transmission and no noise at all when engine is running and clutch in and out ,,,,,,,,,,,, broken input shaft ??? help
gogmorgo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:22 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never pulled a clutch apart so don't really know what I'm talking about, but I figured since no one else was responding, I'd just suggest the things that I can think might cause an issue.

Is your clutch actually engaging? A bad clutch could be stuck in such a way that it's not contacting the flywheel, or it could have no friction surface left. There could also be an issue with the hydraulics.

Are you actually in gear? I've heard of transmissions getting stuck in neutral. Shift forks could be broken/worn, etc. Do you have drive in any gear at all, or none of the gears? Have you checked with the transmission in gear and engine running to make sure the layshaft isn't spinning? (could the transfer case be in neutral or otherwise not working, have you tried high or low range?) What happens if you try to shift without the clutch while the engine's running, does it seem like you're engaging spinning gears or is it normal to what it would be with the clutch disengaged?

I would guess it's probably not a broken input shaft, but you never know. The main purpose of my post is to attempt to get more information out of you than you've provided, so hopefully others can see it and provide help. It may be an embarrassing situation for you in some way, so you don't want to let out all the details, but you have to help us with information before we can get a picture of what's happening and help you.
Generally speaking there are two kinds of mechanical failures, gradual (wearing out) or sudden (breaking). What were you doing when you lost drive? Did it happen suddenly, or did you gradually slow down? Were there any noises, smells, or other strange behaviour from some part of the Niva that you associate with the failure?

Unless it's an issue with the clutch master cylinder or hydraulic lines, you're probably going to have to pull the transmission to diagnose an issue with the clutch or transmission.
cowboyjimmi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx Gogmorgo ,No embarrassment at all ,i was on a old trail and slipped over bank with front end and was trying to rock it in and out of ice and snow and dirt edge the there was a lot of wobble in the drive and as i tried one last time to rock it out there was no power any where ,my first thought was the layshaft blew on me as it has twice before but when i was winched out to the road i looked and the layshaft was intact Very Happy needless to i did a combination of trouble shooting and found a reply on the ladauk forum that a response mentioned one ot the test and it was conclusive of a clutch problem, so apart i came and the friction plate was missing one side completely ,ant to my luck there is an old lada dealer from 1997 here who had a used one . so it on its way back together.
carmine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:48 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Used ?

403 383 1544

lada parts
Fiat parts
Facebook

LADA PARTS
gogmorgo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:06 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear you've got it back together, although a used clutch? Not something I'd be too keen on running... it's a bit like running used brake pads, although I guess they do spent a great deal of time in a "used" condition between brand new and useless while you're using them...

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Technical Information - Do you need help with your Lada? All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: