Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index Lada USA Discussion Board
International Lada Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
LadaUSA Store

Electrical gauge/alternator issues

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Technical Information - Do you need help with your Lada?
View previous topic :: View next topic
nautilus32

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:23 pm Post subject: Electrical gauge/alternator issues Reply with quote

I have just replaced the starter, alternator in my 98 Niva. After re-installing everything, the Niva started but I had no gauges.

The headlights/hi-beams worked but not signals, the washer fluid sprayer worked but not the wipers.

I pressed the gas to rev the engine and all the gauges came on. Volt meter read 12.4 prior to gauges coming on, then jumped to 14.1 when gauges turned on. Turned on lights drove vehicle for 5 min. Fan belt was a little loose while driving, let it idle and it rose from 12.9 to stay steady at 13.4 after drive with lights on.

Turned off vehicle, then when I restarted it same problem as before, no gauges, headlights/hi-beams but no signals etc. Also alternator is not charging.

Does anyone have ideas? Any help appreciated. Thank you.

GadgetBoy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:23 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like either a faulty ignition switch, ignition relay or the wiring to either/both. Take the steering column shroud off and check in there for the switch and its wiring, check under the centre of the dash near the glovebox for the relay and its wiring.
http://www.ladaniva.co.uk
88formula

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:20 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I don't get "it" smacked for doing this, but here goes...
http://www.lada.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13136&sid=f77bcb5f26ba34e838fcd3d3af069d6c
This is a write up I made on electrical testing. Sounds to me like your having some issues with your charging too...
I've also had "phantom charging system warnings" in my vanagon. Strut it up,and the alternator doesn't charge till you reed the engine. Don't remember the cause,but the fix was a new alternator.
Another thought is that there are 3 wires coming off the alternator.make sure there all good. I had a previous owner install "fused link" just off the alternator. Caused a drop in voltage.

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Technical Information - Do you need help with your Lada? All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: