Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index Lada USA Discussion Board
International Lada Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
LadaUSA Store

Baxter's Niva
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Your rides
View previous topic :: View next topic
ladausa
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:04 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey GadgetBoy, welcome to the forum! I remember following your restoration saga a while back - how's the old girl holding up?

GadgetBoy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:42 am Post subject: Reply with quote

She's holding together extremely well. She is, without doubt, the most reliable car I've ever owned.

Currently being stripped down and prepped for a Russian military paint scheme which I should have done in the first place.

Thanks for the welcome.
http://www.ladaniva.co.uk
baxter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:19 am Post subject: Reply with quote

GadgetBoy wrote:

Thought I'd pop across the pond and say hello!

Hi back at ya'.

Good heavens! The Tay Bridge has blown down...

Smile
baxter

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:14 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by baxter on Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
MOUNTAINBIKER

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:26 am Post subject: HEY Reply with quote

HII
TO IRISH NIVA!!!
WELCOME..I AM MOUNTAINBIKER FROM ANTALYA TURKEY.www.nivatr.com
HERE IN THE FORUM U CAN VISIT MY PHOTOS TOO WHEN U HAVE TIME.
TAKE CARE U AND UR NIVA.
rtaylor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:17 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Become a fan on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Baxters-Niva-Site...a/108343825866544

Regards,

Ross Taylor
baxter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Some updates...

Since I last posted in 2009, I played around with various Weber swaps, including a just-for-laughs 40/40 DFA (the big synchronous opening Weber off a Ford Capri V6). But I'm now back on a Lada carby (albeit slightly modified) as all of my Webers have some problem or another (mostly spindle wear).

I did an engine and gearbox swap in 2010 (as my original engine was sluggish and thirsty and refused to respond to tuning), this took a lot longer than it should for various reasons. I took the opportunity to beef up the gearbox and transfer-case mounts.

I finally got it running properly mid 2011 (foiled by the condenser I hadn't screwed down properly Laughing ).

However, I then had endless problems getting the brakes the right for it's WOF (the six-monthly roadworthy test in New Zealand) and after basically replacing the entire braking system to make only incremental improvements to the brakes it when on the back-burner.

On the good news front I did pick up a Detroit Softlocker for it though; the bad news - I also had a massive heart-attack in 2013.

When I was allowed to drive again and up to working I did a bit of bodywork.

...and put yet another set of calipers (off a Niva known to have a good pedal feel) - and no surprise a slight improvement, but they still weren't right.

However, I went to a new WOF tester - and they passed it!

So good news you're all thinking...

Last edited by baxter on Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
baxter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:01 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought so too.

But a week or so later I took it for some mild off-roading - and broke the rear bolt that holds the front diff in Sad

My own fault entirely - we had neglected to tighten them after doing the engine swap a couple of years previously, and although I thought I had checked it earlier in the year (I vividly recall looking for and finding the 19mm) it turns out heart meds aren't good for memory damn it.

It sat for another six months until I managed to make the time to swap the diffs (I had planed to put the Softlocker on a 3.4 diff set I had acquired and swap both diffs over, but the crown on the rear 3.4 was slightly rusted unfortunately) so we just replaced the front diff and poped the Detroit in on the 4.1 it came with, and I finally put the proper length shocks in for the lift.

We got a new WOF and rushed the diffs in just before xmas, and took it away on a 4x4 and camping holiday. A great holiday was had:

Naturally there were a few issues - we ran out of time to tune it properly or check things were tight etc after it had effectively been sitting for a few years its timing was 15 dge out, carby jets partially blocked, etc. But being a Niva nothing that actually stopped it going or wasn't easily fixed.

Since returning home we've tuned it up and put a Hall Effect dizzy in it so it's going a lot better thankfully.

The full story and more pics at http://ladaniva.co.uk/baxter/baxtersniva.htm or just the pics at www.facebook.com/BaxtersNivaSite/photos_stream

baxter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:20 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Used it for my first ever crack at a 4x4 Trial - nothing broken (except possibly my hand). And only nearly rolled it once - and we scored heaps of points Wink

Avoided the rougher 2 or 3 hazards where there was a good chance of rolling, and was quickly nailed by a combination of my lack of practice, my tiny 27" tyres and their understeering nature as well as very greasy mud/clay on many hazards that emphasised this, and occasional near significant power loss. Also not helped by there being very few entries in the Standard class so we couldn't watch anyone one else do those courses first. It did better than expected in the sloppy rutted stuff, and we did manage two zero scores at the first attempt on the forest hazards.

We didn't do most of the afternoon runs as I did something to my hand which became increasingly painful to even change gear and impossible to grip the steering wheel properly - which without powersteering made the turns we weren't making in the first place not worth even trying. The two hazards we did retry we did worse than in the morning session Laughing - and this was when I got it teetering on two wheels.

More pics at http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.922425061125079.1073741839.108343825866544
baxter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:18 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally updated "Baxter's Niva Story" on my site - there's a couple of off-road trips, a Niva stand at a car show, Lada Niva NZ's first meet & camp, a long holiday, a couple of cruises, and a gearbox failure...

www.ladaniva.co.uk/baxter/baxtersniva.htm

crb247

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:56 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Glad to see it and you are still alive and kicking.
'96 Samara purple-ish (grimace) *sold pending pickup*

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Your rides All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: