Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index Lada USA Discussion Board
International Lada Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
LadaUSA Store

2004 Land Rover Discovery:good/bad/real bad?

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic
porschev812

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:38 pm Post subject: 2004 Land Rover Discovery:good/bad/real bad? Reply with quote

neighbor has a 2004 land rover discovery that he quit driving because of an overheating problem he can't figure out-I looked online an discovered these are known for some serious engine problems occurring with the 4.6 v8 engine:blown head gaskets,cracked blocks,slipped liners,broken oil pumps...Besides some design and manufacturing defects,use of "Dexcool"coolant and bad maintenance by owners seems to give rise to the engine problems.Anyway,been thinking about buying and fixing this truck if he wants to sell at right price Smile anyone know anything about the engine problems or know if this vehicle is worth putting a major engine repair effort into?-looking over online reviews,some people think these are the best vehicle ever,while others they are the worst vehicle they have ever owned...

Lawndart

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:03 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an '04 Disco. I really love the look, drive and feel of the truck. I looked long and hard to find one in pristine shape - found in Texas with 35k miles; it looked virtually new. At 46k, the oil pump went tits up and took out the timing chain. I had the engine rebuilt by one of the "know" re-builders. Not cheap, but I did not want a different vehicle - I wanted an '04 Disco and I was not ready to take a complete loss. So I dumped another $7500 into the vehicle. Runs great now (but it did before).
The one you mention will probably need head gaskets replaced and/or one of the cylinder liners has slipped. The way I look at it, if it is fairly nice, you can get it cheaply and you are willing to add an additional $7500, go for it.
Currently my Niva is getting snow and off-road duty.

Edit - here is a link to a decent DII forum
http://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/
porschev812

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:21 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

cool-thanks for the info and link!this one has a couple minor door dings,but still looks good-has an aftermarket ARB bumper.Haven't looked at the interior.At first I couldn't figure out how the time-proven rover v8 could have such trouble,but seems design was worked over quite a bit for 4.6 version and some"teething troubles"surfaced...Saw hp/tq given(iirc)as 217 hp/300FT LBs:pretty decent #s for a mild 4.6 v8
porschev812

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:00 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

bought the land rover(it's an '03 actually) this past may and got the cooling system fixed- had bad water pump,crumbling plastic thermostat housing,some plastic fittings were crumbling)now runs good,but does have the imfamous loose cylinder liner problem-so only gets careful, limited usage until I can get the engine apart for a fix-will see what needs done once engine apart.I have heard these are known to wear cams too...Really like the truck,so will fix whatever it takes Smile Was strongly warned against buying this on some other forums,but no regrets at all. A clacking sound can be heard at certain temperatures from the left side of engine and sometimes a whiff of antifreeze can be smelt at the exhaust,though not really "using"coolant very fast.
porschev812

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:56 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

My old Dodge Raider winter beater broke down(rear axle housing broke)so had to activate the Discovery for emergency use when me got heavy snow-did very well Smile impressed that it started with little protest on a -20*f morning and I havn't heard any loose liner clacking as the cold apparently keeps the aluminum block shrank enough to keep the liner from moving.Love the heated w/s,seats , mirrors and strong heater. The computerized 4x4 traction control works a treat too !
porschev812

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:23 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

using the Land Rover more,starting to think it might not have the loose liner problem and the engine noises might instead be a worn cam and piston slap-collapsed piston skirt know to happen on these engines apparently...found and fixed a couple minor coolant leaks and no longer smelling any antifreeze around the truck.

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: