Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index Lada USA Discussion Board
International Lada Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
LadaUSA Store

Engine hesitation and loss of power

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Technical Information - Do you need help with your Lada?
View previous topic :: View next topic
91lada71

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:20 pm Post subject: Engine hesitation and loss of power Reply with quote

I have a 1991 Lada Niva 1600. Just in the last few weeks I have been experiencing some problems with hesitation and acceleration loss of power. When I go out on the road the first time during the day it runs flawlessly, once I shut the engine off anytime I restart the engine for driving the same day it hesitates while starting from first gear and the beginning of second gear. It also has a loss of power and acceleration, even a slight incline causes a loss of power and drops me from 100 km an hour to no more than 80km. I've checked the vacuum system out and fixed one leak. There are two small canisters above the rear passenger wheel well that I believe our part of the fuel return/vapour system. Both have a rattle if I tap them and it seems to have and intermittent "buzzing" sound while driving. I'm at a loss, hoping someone can give me ideas. Also someone told me possibly a lack of fuel/fuel pump issue, although it runs fine on the first run of the day no matter the distance or terrain.

Dneprdude

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:29 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the FI system in the Niva, but it could be fuel or spark from what you're saying. Again I'd have to see it. Something could be clogged or there could be a miss in the ignition system. I would pull the plugs to see if there's any anomalies. They should all be bisquit colored. See if any are wet, then it's a ign. situation more than likely. Hope this helps.
91lada71

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:08 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Spark seems to be good. I was thinking of going to an electric inline fuel pump and bypass the mechanical. It's a 1.6 l carberated engine. Any ideas what fuel pressure range it would be? I can source a 1.5-3.5psi or a 4-7 psi locally...
Dneprdude

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:48 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I have put the Facet pumps on Brit cars and others. They are like 2-6 psi. I would think that's probably about right. Hopefully someone will chime in with more experience. Can't remember the brand I put on the Corvair as it was a kit from a Vair guy. Maybe flush the fuel lines and maybe drain the tank. Hate to suggest this as its a dirty chore. Does it have a fuel filter? Maybe add an inline one at some point.
Spaz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:28 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar problems with my '91 Niva.

I did two things.

1. Added an in-line electric fuel pump. This I researched by looking up what people were mating with the weber carb I have. I think it was about 2-4 psi like the previous poster said. I bought it at NAPA.

2. I bought this and installed it:

https://ladapower.com/catalog/niva-1600/electric/lada-niva-2121-2103-contactless-ignition-set-detail

A completely new ignition system for $75 USD plus shipping. Really not worth troubleshooting the individual components for that price. I think this is what really fixed my problem.
Dneprdude

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:48 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

91Lada71... You back on the road?

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Technical Information - Do you need help with your Lada? All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: