Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index Lada USA Discussion Board
International Lada Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
LadaUSA Store

My Soviet kids getting picked up this Saturday

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions and general discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic
Dneprdude

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:32 pm Post subject: My Soviet kids getting picked up this Saturday Reply with quote

I'll write the whole spiel once they come and I can have some alone time with them. My 74 2103 and my tan LuAZ. Blue one is my neighbor's who got in on the deal. Have better pics to follow. Wish me luck on the pick up. 4 hrs down to Charleston and back.

The Soviet kids by mrogers2009, on Flickr

20170815_135946 by mrogers2009, on Flickr

IMG_4002 by mrogers2009, on Flickr

LuAZ (5) by mrogers2009, on Flickr

ladafan123

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Post some updates when you get a chance and good luck with your new kids.
porschev812

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:29 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to hear/see the details on those -especially the LuAZ,as I don't know much about those Smile
lalunette

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:23 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome news about the LuAZ !!

Check out Lars on Survival Russia (you tube). He lives in Siberia and purchased one which he completely rebuilt... so you might find his videos interesting. Don't worry, his videos are in English. Smile

A bad day working on the Lada is better than a good day at work.
Dneprdude

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pics. Finally took the LuAZ for a ride today. Judd got his running. Carb is dirty, but she moves. Had a LuAZ parade through the neighborhood. Lol.

Anyway, I will give the recent news and try to give the whole story this weekend. Was a little superstitious on counting chickens till hatched and their on the roost. Smile Thanks Igor for the chickens.

Left here early around 5 and got to the uhaul joint, got the truck and trailers, then to the warehouse at around 10am. The owner was awesome enough to let us come on a Saturday. Good people. Walked up to the big door and we finally saw these... Tiny cars. Oh man are they smaller than any picture can really describe. The Lada is much narrower than you think and the LuAZ are weird because of their height and shortness... 11ft like an MG Midget. Really just taken a back a little. Seeing Igor's photos for the last two months and they are finally here. Awesome.

Ok, time to get loaded. Batteries were all dead, around 8 volts, so we manually loaded them, sort of. We decided to load the LuAZ first and they said they can do it via fork lift. I thought under the suspension/drive shafts... Nope, roll the sucker on the forks. It worked and slid in the truck with more room than I thought. Anyway, Judd threw a few straps on her (him?) Igor said "It"] and closed the door. Hooked up the trailer again and loaded the Lada. No problems, just starting to get hot out. Backed up my truck and rolled up Judd's green LuAZ with no issues. Shook hands and thanked the fellas. Got out of there around 11:15. Stopped for gas on the way and went to Cracker Barrel for a late lunch. Good, easy trip the rest of the way home when we arrived a little after 5pm.

Unloaded Judd's first, which rolled off and we pushed to his garage. Then the Lada, which I jumped and she started up quickly. Tires were flat so the it was a hard steer. Got her back to the shop and figured out where to unload the LuAZ. As I figured I would back into the ditch and use my "700 lbs. per" aluminum ramps. Earlier if I thought if I had to use them, they would be best if supported by two sets of jack stands. Luckily I was right and my testing paid off. She rolled out with no issues. Gave her a jump and she fired up in a few moments. Drove IT back to the garage.

Wanted to get the equipment back ASAP to get it all done, returned those and made it home in time for dinner. Have spent a little bit of time with them, but with work and kids, we have had a few brief moments in the garage. I need to take them out this weekend and give them a good scrubbing. In and out. Anyway, more pics as they come. Hopefully this weekend. Thanks for the excitement and props guys.

She fits... Barely by mrogers2009, on Flickr

Fork it by mrogers2009, on Flickr

Loaded LuAZ by mrogers2009, on Flickr

Ready to go by mrogers2009, on Flickr

Kids in the shop by mrogers2009, on Flickr

Last edited by Dneprdude on Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Dneprdude

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:44 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

lalunette wrote:
Awesome news about the LuAZ !!

Check out Lars on Survival Russia (you tube). He lives in Siberia and purchased one which he completely rebuilt... so you might find his videos interesting. Don't worry, his videos are in English. Smile

I've watched all of those and the regular survival episode are great. "Awesome" guy.
lalunette

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:30 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Dneprdude wrote:

I've watched all of those and the regular survival episode are great. "Awesome" guy.

Yes, Lars is "awesome"... and sometimes he's "super awesome" !!

If I had the room I would definitely get a LuAZ... but two 2104s is my limit.

Have fun with the vehicles !!

A bad day working on the Lada is better than a good day at work.
Dneprdude

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry no pics. Cleaned them up. Mostly Lada as the LuAZ was fairly clean. Interesting smells of these two. Will take some this weekend. Taking out the seats of the Lada to do a deep clean. Usually work on stuff I. The evening, but cessation medicine has been making me groggy in the evening.
Dneprdude

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:34 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled the interior to replace the natural fiber padding, carpet padding, fix a seat seam, and find coins. Found two Soviet and one Russian. Also found a Orthodox strip with Jesus, Mary, and a third. Cool. That will stay where I found it in the sun visor. Hopefully get some work done this weekend, maybe back together. Other than that not much. LuAZ is clean, so no project there yet. Buffed a little on the hood and it shined up nicely. Took some pics. Flickr won't let me upload with the proper link from my phone, so I'll post again.
[/img]
Dneprdude

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:40 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the new padding cut, fixed seat (added padding) and fixed split. Need to do a few odds before I put her back together. Not really too much to report. Got the tags for the Lada and will for the LuAZ. Didn't get the tags when I did the title work since I was in a hurry. Went back and they said oh you have to get an inspection on the '91. I said I thought I had till next renewal. Apparently (NC is really stupid as I've said before) if you get the plate the day you title the car, you can wait the year, but not if you go home and come back the next day to get a plate. Never heard of such stupidity. Anyway, been really busy and apologize for few and far between. Got bored at and started a painting to show the kids how to paint. Hope to be done soon.

IMG_20171007_124246290 by mrogers2009, on Flickr
IMG_20171007_124257538 by mrogers2009, on Flickr
IMG_20171022_134801712~2 by mrogers2009, on Flickr

IMG_20171024_155737310 by mrogers2009, on Flickr
porschev812

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:16 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched some LuAZ on youtube-v4 engine sounds a lot like VW flat 4.Have you tried out the gas-fired heater yet ?Smile

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions and general discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: