Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index Lada USA Discussion Board
International Lada Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
LadaUSA Store

Can I import a 2011 Niva to US from Nicaragua?

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions and general discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic
Mywifesniva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:33 pm Post subject: Can I import a 2011 Niva to US from Nicaragua? Reply with quote

I just bought a 2011 Niva for my wife. It is now our favorite car ever. We live in Nicaragua and though we don't have plans to move now I know I never want to sell this car. Does anyone know what are the laws regulating importing a 2011 Niva to the US. North Carolina specifically.

Thank you.

Dneprdude

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:11 am Post subject: Reply with quote

It's newer than 25 years and subject to DOT safety laws and emissions. Not sure the answer for sure on importing such a new car. If it's allowed in, individual states shouldn't be a problem.

'74 VAZ 2103
'91 LuAZ 969M
JamieConway88

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:02 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Dneprdude wrote:
It's newer than 25 years and subject to DOT safety laws and emissions. Not sure the answer for sure on importing such a new car. If it's allowed in, individual states shouldn't be a problem.

That's right. You also need to take EPA/Air Emission and U.S Customs into consideration before importing.
33rus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:41 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

...in other words, it is not possible to do it legally for another... 18 years. I heard stories of people driving newer Ladas in the US that were registered as old Fiats or something. The other legal way of driving a new one in the US is buying an old one, and really disassembling it, and then reassembling with all new parts. It is complicated and expensive, unlike like screwing VIN plates, but if you really want something - nothing gonna stop, right)
Sparky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:55 am Post subject: Reply with quote

You can bring your car with you from outside the US for ~6 months or so, then you're supposed to remove it from the country, destroy it, or properly import it. So if you transported it to mexico and drove across the border, you could have it here for a while and depending on the state you end up in, you might be able to get someone to make an exemption...
During that time tho, you might be able to find a 25yo shell and swap everything into it.
'90 Lada Cossack (2121) - past

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions and general discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: