Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index Lada USA Discussion Board
International Lada Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
LadaUSA Store

N/A

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions and general discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic
33rus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:16 pm Post subject: N/A Reply with quote

N/A

Last edited by 33rus on Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Sparky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:55 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, I don't know if this is the right political climate for trying to sell Russian cars in the US Laughing
It's always tough breaking new ground and very few people in the US have ever seen a Lada and only a few of those are going to find them 'attractive' in their quirky way. Some Canadians may have passed one on the highway at one point, but even when the dealerships were around, they didn't sell a lot of cars. When people did buy a Lada, it was primarily because they were really cheap. If Canada had an aftermarket supply of off-road outfitters for the Niva or people turning the Rivas into rwd drift cars back in the day, there would likely be a lot more people with nostalgia for them.
I hope your trip goes well for us. Maybe Lada would be interested in sponsoring/hiring you as a brand-diplomat? There are rumors they may return to Canada in 2019.
'90 Lada Cossack (2121) - past
33rus

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:49 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about the climate - indeed. But on the other hand - when was it ever normal?Smile I remember seeing pictures online of some gas stations boycotting fueling Ladas (times of Afghan war) when they were imported into Canada. However, even now I assume some business relations do exist between USA and Russia because in modern world it is costly to refuse cooperation just because of politicians' decisions. Luckily they don't touch private individuals imports for now. When I was importing my 2106 into Canada, I even emailed Canada Border Services asking if I'll be fine importing it.
Not too many Americans are aware of Ladas, that's true. And even fewer of them think that Ladas are any good. In fact they are as good as any other car that was designed in 1970s. The factory did not modify them unfortunately for years, then the crash of USSR, no money, and then the market opened up for foreign brands. Ladas remained somewhat primitive. I like the fact that they are without electronics. Nowadays the cars are filled with all these ESPs, ABSs, etc. that a driver does not learn to drive really, does not know what to expect of a car in bad weather and road conditions, how RWD behaves, what you can do on FWD, etc.
About aftermarket parts for Ladas: I once found an ex-dealer in Mississauga, great guy, I bought some stuff off him, particularly "racing steering wheels" - black metal and leather, made in Italy. He told me they were on that wall for decades before I bought them. The reason - price. Like you said, people bought Ladas only because they were cheap. That steering wheel was $200 back in the day, while a whole car was $5K - no wonder:)
Rumours about Lada returning to Canada arise every year, mostly around April 1 though:) My take on that is (let's dream for a sec here): even if Lada was to return to North America with their Nissan-shaped vehicles that totally lost their individuality, I would not be interested in joining them. I want to do what I love, and to me Ladas were over in 2012 when they stopped producing RWD vehicles (2107 being the last one). I realize - new market, ever-changing world, etc. but another reality of this modern world auto market is - if there was a limited production of RWD Ladas, or Volgas (that aren't produced since 2009, if I'm not mistaken), or even ZAZ - even if these cars were following Fiat 500 or Mini Cooper way, i.e. same outside - new inside - they would sell like crazy, right away.
I did not expect I'd write that much:)

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions and general discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: