Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index Lada USA Discussion Board
International Lada Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
LadaUSA Store

1985 Skoda 120GLS

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Your rides
View previous topic :: View next topic
eljay

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:58 am Post subject: 1985 Skoda 120GLS Reply with quote

Hello, I'm new to the forum and it's the only North American forum where I found some "Skoda" topics, so I signed up.
It seems a few people have a soft spot for them around here.
Also, if it counts, my grandfather had a 1978 Lada 2103 that I loved. I wish he had saved it for me, but it was sold a loong time ago in mint condition.

So, my story:
I found a 1985 Skoda 120 GLS in a non-running state. It was sitting in a barn for 20 years and I bought it. 1 owner, 60k kms.

My first objective is to get it running. This is a very new territory for me as I've never done an engine rebuild/refresh, but this engine seems simple enough. I was told is needs a new crankshaft.

As a first step, I would like to try to test the engine as much as I can while it's in the car and then take it out and do the refresh.

I bought a battery booster and my plan was to connect it to battery terminals (there's no battery) and see if I can get spark at the coil and then at the spark plugs.
Would that be a good first step?

Or shall I just remove the engine and refresh it and then put it together and hope for the best?
The refresh will be a winter/few month project due to lack of time.

Last edited by eljay on Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

porschev812

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to see if the engine can be turned by hand using the crank pulley or lever a screwdriver against flywheel ringear teeth if you have enough access to the starter ring.If it does not turn or very stiff,take out the spark plugs,shoot in some oil and try again in a day or two.Since it is said to need a crankshaft,probably has a spun bearing and a "rod knock"-would be good to get the oil pan off and look for blackened or "loose"connecting rod 'big end" or metal particles,especially copper,in the sludge in the bottom of the pan. Good luck and tell what you find.
eljay

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:21 am Post subject: Reply with quote

porschev812 wrote:
Need to see if the engine can be turned by hand using the crank pulley or lever a screwdriver against flywheel ringear teeth if you have enough access to the starter ring.If it does not turn or very stiff,take out the spark plugs,shoot in some oil and try again in a day or two.Since it is said to need a crankshaft,probably has a spun bearing and a "rod knock"-would be good to get the oil pan off and look for blackened or "loose"connecting rod 'big end" or metal particles,especially copper,in the sludge in the bottom of the pan. Good luck and tell what you find.

Thank you.
The car rolled onto the tow bed easily, but would not roll off. The wheels roll back and forth a couple of inches, so rather than seized brakes, it appears to be stuck in gear even though the gear shift is in neutral, although it VERY stiff.
If I put the rear wheels in the air, should I be abke to turn the crank by hand? Or should I figure out how to get it out of gear first (if that is what is happening)?
porschev812

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:12 am Post subject: Reply with quote

transmission might be stuck in two gears at the same time-this can happen if shift linkage gets out of adjustment or a part of linkage is broken or disconnected.
eljay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:46 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to turn the crank tonight. It moves freely about 120 degrees back and forth. When I reach one end, I can hear the clunk by the transmission, so it seems to be stuck in gear.
Should I try to put it all together, disconnect fuel line (there's no fuel there anyway and the fuel hises are in a sorry state) and see what happens when I connect a battery booster, crank it and spray some starter fluid into the carburetor?
porschev812

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:59 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

if clutch in working order,wedge a stick or something to hold the pedal down if no helper avalible,then see if you can get a complete rotation-and if you can,could see if it will run on the starting fluid or gas poured down the carb.I tried to find a diagram of a Skoda 120 shift linkage and found some pics of a disassembled tranny,but nothing about the linkage except it might be similar to a Saab 99/900:a rod from the shifter base that turns and moves in and out.
eljay

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:03 am Post subject: Reply with quote

porschev812 wrote:
if clutch in working order,wedge a stick or something to hold the pedal down if no helper avalible,then see if you can get a complete rotation-and if you can,could see if it will run on the starting fluid or gas poured down the carb.I tried to find a diagram of a Skoda 120 shift linkage and found some pics of a disassembled tranny,but nothing about the linkage except it might be similar to a Saab 99/900:a rod from the shifter base that turns and moves in and out.

Thanks. I'll give it a try. The clutch pedal is hard as rock, so I'm not sure I can get it moving. There's probably no fluid in those lines anymore.
I have a Haynes manual, so I'll study the linkage and see how I can move it around to get it to shift.
The lever has freed up some more and feels like it goes into gear and back to neutral.
eljay

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:37 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and here's the state of the affairs in the engine bay as it came to me. It's looking quite dire. Let's hope I can do something about it.

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Your rides All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: