Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index Lada USA Discussion Board
International Lada Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
LadaUSA Store

Brake problems

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Technical Information - Do you need help with your Lada?
View previous topic :: View next topic
DeLorean_4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:14 pm Post subject: Brake problems Reply with quote

Hi everyone! (skip to the text in italics if you don't like blah blah)

As you may remember, I'm trying to convert my Lada Samara to run on electricity. However, after having consulted with an electrical engineer who owns four electric vehicles, I have been convinced that the only way for me to start is with a full restoration.

So far, I've taken apart the interior and everything that is accessory to the engine block and head. One of the few steps remaining before the mild rust repair and full repaint is the actual removal of the gasoline engine.

Before even thinking about using a hoist, which I have access to, I need to lift the front end of the car and that requires three things:
a Jack (check)
supports (check)
and a functional handbrake

My handbrake is very weak and after having checked under the car, I noticed that the adjuster yoke pulls a whole lot more to one side than the other. Firstly, it's rusty, and so are the extremities of the handbrake cables that link to it. Is the pulling the result of bad cables and/or a problem with the rear brake drums?

Secondly, where can I get brakes that are more powerful than the originals? (Front and rear)

Ben

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to speculate that you won't find stronger brakes. Samaras are not common cars in our part of the world and they aren't exactly a hot rod to begin with.

I would think getting the current system working well, (all new hydraulics, lines, friction, etc) would probably be adequate.

Realistically, can't you just chock the rear wheels in lieu of using a hand brake? Hand brakes are great, but they are a pain in the *censored* when they don't get used consistently in winter climates.
Lada & Korean Parts

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:13 am Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing wrong with original brakes,sounds like you have seized cable????

www.ladaparts.com andrew@ladaparts.com
DeLorean_4

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:17 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Very likely, so I'll get both of them changed.

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Technical Information - Do you need help with your Lada? All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: