Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index Lada USA Discussion Board
International Lada Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
LadaUSA Store

I make the rules

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic
lalunette

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:11 pm Post subject: I make the rules Reply with quote

Well the message is finally clear and leaves no room for
interpretation... after having been asked if he had a licence to drive an
ATV in the NWT, Prime Minister Harper replied "I think I make the rules".

A dictator "makes the rules"... a PM abides by parliamentary rules...

However these words clearly indicate what Harper is all about. Ever
since in office, Harper and his Neo-Cons have been acting like dictators
by getting rid of everthing and everyone who oppose them or who do not conform to their ideology. No one is safe.

Wake up Canadians. Remember that dictators are often voted in as a result of free democratic elections.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/i-make-the-rules-pm-declares-as-he-takes-atv-for-arctic-joyride-101579708.html

A bad day working on the Lada is better than a good day at work.

Patrick_91

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:41 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I'm not defending Stephen Harper but I think this quote sums it up nicely:

"There was nothing illegal, nothing unprofessional, nothing untoward of any kind: it's just a guy riding an ATV on private property. It's no less legal for him to do it than for you."

He was on private property after all, if the cops stopped me at the top of my driveway and asked if I had a Class 6 for a motorcycle I was putting around in, I could tell them very nicely to *censored* off too.

"Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine, into your brain, and that is where they sh!**y ideas come from." Member #89
crb247

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:02 am Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the legality of the "joyride" it was the completely braindead gaff he made with his statement. Politicians of the upper crust are hopelessly inept with speaking for themselves. If they had to speak for themselves they would never get elected in the first place.
'96 Samara purple-ish (grimace) *sold pending pickup*
zomby woof

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:08 am Post subject: Re: I make the rules Reply with quote

lalunette wrote:
Well the message is finally clear and leaves no room for
interpretation...

Sometimes people make jokes, and other people don't get them, but that's a good one Laughing

Give the guy credit for having a little lighthearted fun.

I would expect a leader to get rid of people not smart enough to tow the company line. There's a time, and place to oppose your boss. It's up to you to know when that is.

I am particularly impressed with his treatment of the media. Absolutely brillliant. He's still a little soft, and left for me, but if we had more leaders like Harper, this country would be a better place.
lalunette

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:52 am Post subject: Re: I make the rules Reply with quote

zomby woof wrote:
but if we had more leaders like Harper, this country would be a better place.
Shocked

OY !!!

How old are you? I'm just asking 'cause maybe our version of "leader" is different due to our age difference.

See, I remember a time when Canada had a REAL leader, by the name of Trudeau.

Niow, if we had more leaders like Trudeau then, yes, this country would be a better place.

A bad day working on the Lada is better than a good day at work.
zomby woof

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:55 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Trudeau was a good leader for the time, who had some good ideas. I voted liberal in my youth, and even once thought the NDP had merit.

I have since matured, and learned that the great liberal experiment is not fiscally responsible, or sustainable.

We currently have a liberal government in Ontario that is, IMO, the worst government ever to lead this province.

I don't like rules, and I don't like taxes.
We need WAY less of both, and you won't get either from the left wing liberal, and NDP.
GadgetBoy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:05 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best place for political discussions is ...... somewhere else!
http://www.ladaniva.co.uk
VinceWDrake

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:11 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem isn't Harper, or Trudeau, Or Tommy Douglas (God Rest his soul).

It's the system, and our severely warped perception of the system.

We've gone from progressive (Small 'p') to government to purely reactionary media-driven government.

Think about it. You're driving along, and so a loco in a Volvo eyeballing your lane, you slow down, and anticipate what dude's gonna do, right? You don't wait *until* he cut you off, clobber his arse, and then make a media play saying "If I Would have known, I would have bought some insurance!" Right?

And to belabour the point, traditionally, we don't vote *for* people and ideas in this glorious country of ours, we vote *against* people and ideas.

Yeah. That's awesome. And it's working *so* Freakin' well isn't it?

Where are the great forward thinkers of our time? Where are the people who built the Trans-Canada railways? Where are the people who bought us CPP and Medi-care so people don't have to die penniless in the streets?

I dunno either. I'm just a mechanic.

Maybe, maybe we need to borrow a couple of pages from the Americans. Maybe we need to have a little bit of passion and pride in our national politics?

Maybe we need to have a little faith in our pols? Or maybe we need some pols who are worthy of our faith and belief? Or how about a less jaded, less cynical media?

Or maybe some national pride would be in order. July 4th is a *huge* deal in Minnesota, North Dak, anytime I've been there. Re-un day in Germany is *huge!*

July 1st we all go watch the fireworks, and leave in an orderly fashion, complaining that they weren't as good as last year...

I don't know what the solution is. But I do know that our cynical dark-eyed view plays poorly on the world stage, and it's a pathetic shame on all of us.

That all being said, I love this place. I've looked around a bit, and I am infinitely glad I won the locational lottery to be born here. Yes, I bitch about the politics, and the increasingly instrusive government rules, but my God, what a thing we have! It's got everything all the time, 4 real seasons, any kind of landscape you want to see, and all the stuff to do whatever you want with it!

To bad we can't see the trees for the forest.

And with that...

[/rant]

--Vince
[/lurk="VinceDrake"]
crb247

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:49 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

GadgetBoy wrote:
I think the best place for political discussions is ...... somewhere else!

That's why it's in "off topic" Wink

VWD wrote:
Maybe, maybe we need to borrow a couple of pages from the Americans. Maybe we need to have a little bit of passion and pride in our national politics?

In U.S. politics....... Confused. I see less and less of that every year. A lot of it could be comparable to dealing with and speaking to zealots when it comes to the actual autonomous machine that is the National political scene.

addendum : Not the Pride in one's country please don't get me wrong that still breathes strong.
'96 Samara purple-ish (grimace) *sold pending pickup*

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: