Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index Lada USA Discussion Board
International Lada Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
LadaUSA Store

My 95 Samara - Update and a few questions

Post new topic†††Reply to topic †††Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Your rides
View previous topic :: View next topic
mk1975

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:49 am† †Post subject: My 95 Samara - Update and a few questions Reply with quote

Hi everyone!
This is my first post to this board and I would like to introduce myself to community.
By chance and on impulse I got myself a Lada recently.
So Iím here, to present my tinkering toy: 1995 Samara 1500 L.
It has original 18.000 km, previously owned by an elderly woman and meticulously maintained, with all the record from the day of purchase.
I've been a long time Volvo fan and owned most of them, from early 2-series to S80, but this little Russian lady got to me. Very Happy
The simplicity and durability of the design is phenomenal.
Here are first pictures, sorry for the poor quility.
More will follow. Very Happy

https://www.box.com/s/q7gy83mir7y7pck6fm35
https://www.box.com/s/5lmup1jp9uuktocduf0a

Last edited by mk1975 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total

mk1975

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:53 am† †Post subject: Reply with quote

An update:
The timing belt was replaced, along with water pump which reminds me: is Samara engine of the interference type?
All filters and sparkplugs are new, so is the front part of the exhaust, ignition wires, distributor cap and arm. Sorted out some electrical issues, so the interior lighting is now operational (yeah). I installed the stereo and rear speakers, but strangely there is no place intended to house the front ones in either the dash and/or doors.
Changed the oil in the transmission, but went with gear oil instead of Ladaís recommended engine oil. I might regret that since the transmission *feels* noisier. Any experience from veteran Lada owners?
Took out the fuse box and took it apart, cleaned it thoroughly, but I think a replacement will be needed soon, electronics board is pretty badly corroded.
Not sure about the alternator. It seems that voltage drops below optimal if I turn on defroster and put blower on high. Is this normal by design? Or should I look into getting a new alternator?

Post new topic†††Reply to topic †††Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Your rides All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: