Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index Lada USA Discussion Board
International Lada Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
LadaUSA Store

93 Cabriolet in Canada

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions and general discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic
ash1315

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:39 pm Post subject: 93 Cabriolet in Canada Reply with quote

Hello all, I have been a long time Lada admirer and recently bought a 93 Niva cabriolet. Once I figure out how to post pics from my iphone I will. I seem to gravitate towards eccentric cars as I have always had Fiat Spiders and currently own an 1981 fiat Brava and 2 Saab 99`s.

I am sure I have purchased the EXACT same white Cabriolet that was posted here a while back from a member in Winnipeg, and am pretty happy to have found one seeing how rare they are. I was just looking for a regular Niva and got lucky

It is currently at Ital Motors in Edmonton being gone over and it is currently running. I look forward to learning what I can from you all and appreciate your knowledge and sense of community here.

I have contacted Carmine by phone regarding parts and he seems to have downsized since moving shop. Does anyone know where to get new inner and outer door sills - thanks!

porschev812

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

probably is "patrick 91"s niva-his was a white '93 in winnipeg...Tell about those saab 99s-i have a 1971 Smile
ash1315

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:57 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! I compared pictures on line and they have to be the same. Must be a pretty good story on how it made it to Edmonton. I saw it on kijiji and apparently I was the first one. Bought it for $600 bucks and the seller was aware how rare it was! He was an older guy who had to downsize his collection due to health issues. Would love to know some production figures but it seems that info is scarce. I will definitely love to know if there are any others out there. Scarcity doesnt always equate to value, but its nice to actual find a Niva in nice shape that is just a bit scarcer than most. As for my Saabs, I have a silver 77 EMS notchback in really nice shape and a running but rusty 78 ems hatch back. Oh yeah, I have an awesome wife that allows me to have this stuff as well. I work 2 jobs and as the kids have grown older, she is ok with me finally spending a few bucks on " old weird cars" as she puts it! I am also lucky to live in Edmonton, which was a Lada hot bed when I was growing up. The winters can be hell an a Niva is well suited. Ital motors used to sell them and has many parts. However, no body parts per se.
nosis_rocks@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:48 am Post subject: Reply with quote

For parts you can try Courtneay Car Centre, it is on Vancouver Island.
Russian 4x4
Lada World
Lada Power

These places all have loads of parts for Nivas but the last three are in europe. Lada Power might be south africa.
I have found it easier to just get my parts from these places as finding anything in Canada has been a royal pain and even after paying conversion and shipping the price still is not that bad.
porschev812

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:46 am Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC,patrick 91's cabrio had the 5 speed tranny break down so the tranny was replaced with an earlier 4 spd -if you have 4 speed that is more evidence you likely have patrick 91's niva. Pictures in brochure show the cabrio with a front brushguard and BWA alloy wheels-one pic also shows some 1990s style stick on applique "splash"graphics along the lower side.
My '71 99 was a junkyard grab-original triumph built engine was run without oil and threw a rod,so i installed a 1980 900 engine with carb and manifolds from a '74.Another 99 i wish i would have recovered and rebuilt was a '78 99 turbo;this one was assembed at uusipunki finland and had some "ipd"parts on it along with the "inca" wheels. This turbo was sitting with the engine partly apart,seats missing,and some dents but no rust at all...
ash1315

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:59 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

It has the exact same decals on the side, the same aftermarket brake and gas pedal ( I think they are aftermarket!) and the same speakers, which also look aftermarket. the few visible rust spots are also exact, especially under the hood. It could be another vehicle, but I would have to check with him.

But he may be done with Ladas all together and not be reachable. Mine has a 5 speed.

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions and general discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: