Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index Lada USA Discussion Board
International Lada Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
LadaUSA Store

Oil Pump Failure??

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Technical Information - Do you need help with your Lada?
View previous topic :: View next topic
antropov

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:23 pm Post subject: Oil Pump Failure?? Reply with quote

my niva is down... Sad
fired her up this morning about 15min before leaving for work to warm it up, it was a very cold night, all frozen.
Hopped in, noticed the oil light on, that's happened only a couple of times in the past on cold mornings and the light would go off after a bit with no issues.
This morning, no such thing.
I pulled away, made it about 4 blocks down the road and she started acting up and stalled out. Fired up again and made my way around the block heading back home with 3 more stalls in between and bad noise coming from the engine....clacking and *censored*....
Pulled in the driveway, shut her down and checked the oil level and it was fine, where it should be.......Questions,
anyone ever go through this?
Sounds like the oil pump crapped out, does it not?
Have I damaged and made things worse by driving it for that short distance?
If it is the oil pump and it needs to be replaced, what's the difficulty level in changing it?
I'm bummed...

Aidar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:24 am Post subject: Re: Oil Pump Failure?? Reply with quote

Hi! Do not worry ahead of time. The fact that the system of valves and pump a few rather weak if clogged (even slightly) valve oil filter, the oil pump can not create the desired pressure. Just try to change the filter.
antropov

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:48 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, a positive possibility......I will definitely try that out. I hope there's no sight of bits and pieces in the oil when I drain...
GadgetBoy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:30 am Post subject: Reply with quote

See Lada UK first!
http://www.ladaniva.co.uk
RACh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:16 pm Post subject: Re: Oil Pump Failure?? Reply with quote

antropov wrote:

fired her up this morning about 15min before leaving for work to warm it up, it was a very cold night, all frozen.
Sounds like the oil pump crapped out, does it not?
Have I damaged and made things worse by driving it for that short distance?
If it is the oil pump and it needs to be replaced, what's the difficulty level in changing it?

Very it seems that broke item 2101-1011228, possible due to the cold start of the engine. Grease thickens, and strong pressure hindered rotation of the pump. Broken teeth inside.
An attempt to drive a car very bad action, possibly led to further damage.
Look here http://www.ri0.ru/rucat/data/vaz/2121/a500.gif
antropov

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's been a while. I haven't given up on the old Niva yet. I've moved to a new town, towed the Niva down with me and best of all, bought me a home with a Garage. It's not heated nor properly wired, but it's a garage. It's been sitting for quite some time and I am going to do my best to bring it back to life. My knowledge being very limited and bringing up two young ones will definately be a challenge in finding time to work on it, so it seems it will be a long process.
Please, if anyone out there has done a rebuild, feel free to make suggestions and offer tips if you have. I have no idea, engine out? engine in, is it possible....what's the easiest if there is such a thing? I do have all information available...the repair and parts catalogues, the engine rebuild guide from Alejandro Gabatel and so on. These will definately be referred to constantly.
From what I read and see, doesn't seem that bad to pull the engine. That being said, the last post questions how much work it requires to pull the oil pan down.....has anyone done this?
antropov

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:56 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

As I say this with a bit of embarrassment, the recent reason of struggling to remove the engine from the vehicle was due to myself missing a couple of bolts...... Embarassed .....bottom clutch to bellhousing . Easy slipped off after removal, of course. Let's just move on, shall we?
Referred to the manual, not much on this but just want to confirm......removal of the flywheel only requires to removing the bolts , correct? Is there anything that I should know? Alignment, markings...etc....thanks.
[img][/img]
antropov

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:58 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the engine on a stand and opened it up. The oil sump revealed some gummy oil remains, just a few small bits of metal pieces, nothing too significant though, but worst of all was a piece of sort of rubbery/plastic mix object that I'm trying to figure out, a little over an inch long. You can see it left of the oil pump in the picture. Only had a chance to quickly check the 2 and 3 lower rod bearing shells.....#3 looked good, #2 had some scouring and would need to be replaced. I hope to get some time tomorrow to look further.

[img][/img]

[img]

[/img]
antropov

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:00 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the link from youtube. I have this happening on valves (cams) #4,6,7 and 8. Is this just a matter of checking clearances and adjust accordingly or could there be more to it?

https://youtu.be/2MyfPHWNyno

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Technical Information - Do you need help with your Lada? All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: