Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index Lada USA Discussion Board
International Lada Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
LadaUSA Store

Back at it...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Technical Information - Do you need help with your Lada?
View previous topic :: View next topic
nsnivaseeker

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:22 pm Post subject: Back at it... Reply with quote

Hello everyone...

Its been a long time since I've been on here and I'm happy to be back. I still have my temperamental Niva but I'm finally back at trying to work out the issues.

I've actually begun replacing all the wires and have found some that don't belong... so I'm hoping this works out my electrical gremlins. (the images are through instagram so I hope they are viewable....

This is a shot of the wires in the box...
[img]http://instagram.com/p/ocbqwTE23w/[img]

And one of one of the bundles in the engine bay Smile
[img]http://instagram.com/p/ocb0tFE237/[/img]

I've moved on to the bundle with the fuse boxes and found 2 things:

This a factory install right? Nothing out of the ordinary here... right?
[img]http://instagram.com/p/ocdBHyE25e/[/img]

But this seems to be an issue also: I believe if I'm correct this pink wire which is not connected where it needs to be is either to the battery or alternator... problem?
[img]http://instagram.com/p/ocbmR-k23o/[/img]

That's some of the progress to this point...

I wonder if someone can answer this for me: (and I'm sure I asked before when I was more active on here) how many relay's should there be in the Niva? Specifically in the engine area?

I'll try to post more pics as I go...

crb247

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:21 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.

Try looking in the parts catalog hosted by Gadgetboy on his site
http://www.ladaniva.co.uk/lada/partscat.pdf

Oh and the blade fuse holder soldered across the original fuse slot is not Factory but a quick fix for when the tension in the tabs weakens and loses contact with the ends of the European fuses. This usually occurs more frequently on the high draw circuits.

The pink wire is thick enough to be one of the main power feeds you will have to look for a wire connection that looks like it came off of...probably also pink and possibly located inside on of those plastic connectors. (by the traces of solder i think is on it it shouldn't be too hard to locate where it originated.) <this is what i would call an uneducated guess.... it's been a while

Chow
'96 Samara purple-ish (grimace) *sold pending pickup*
nsnivaseeker

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:44 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I was able to work out where the new wires go and am just stuck with couple things (one a group of wires that go under the insulation between the front seats, I haven't taken it out yet. And, the other is four wires that are connected by a plug for a relay two go into the bundle of wires two others go along the driver side door and back. I haven't found where it goes because I wanted lunch first. Smile

As for the pink wire I found where it goes and where it's broken from it is actually from the plug that is in my hand in the picture ( was able to compare to the new wires).

I'm just curious how many relays there are suppose to be in the Niva. I had asked this a while back but I can't find where someone gave me an answer.

I have to admit this is a a long slow process but not as bad as I thought it would be (not yet at least). I was also told it wasn't that bad because the wiring is fairly simple on the Niva.
nsnivaseeker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:13 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again...

After another hiatus I have replaced the wiring with all new wiring harnesses but I still can't seem to get anything going. When I connect the battery the battery light and oil light come on the dash. Also my reverse lights stay on....

When I try to start the engine it just doesn't turn over completely, basically it starts to go but no "vroom". Does anyone have any thoughts?
crb247

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:35 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine harness on the 1.7i is completely separate from the rest of the niva. If you feel that you have the majority of the body harness sorted you can refocus on the engine harness. The troubleshooting for early 90's tbi GM 4 cylinders. (iron duke) for instance should help immensely.

chow for now.
nsnivaseeker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:35 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I will look into that and see if that helps but do you know what the two red wires on the left side of this pic are?

https://instagram.com/p/ocb0tFE237/
crb247

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Not off hand no. Do they have power to them with either the key on/key off/lights on/lights off. Might be the power feed wires for the work light outlet that was under the hood of a lot of lada's. Looked kind of like a cigarette lighter socket.
nsnivaseeker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe my problem may be fuel pump related. I noticed today when I was mucking about that I didn't hear the fuel pump start up. So I decided to try to prime the throttle body and put some fuel in there and the engine did fire up but didn't stay on. But when it did fire up the battery light went out and the oil light went out and the check engine light went out (check engine was only coming on when I tried to start it).

So that, to my guess, seems to be the issue but I cant get the fuel pump to start, the wiring for it is connected but no go. Also the batter light and oil light come on once I connect the battery, before I even turn the ignition.
crb247

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Check fuel pump fuse drivers side left kick panel bedside the clutch petal. You can also jump the harness under the rear seat to see if your pump is dead.
nsnivaseeker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:58 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

The fuses look ok... from what I can tell (3 blue fuses). How do you jump it?
crb247

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:30 am Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I had a niva to play with. There should be an access cover in the fuel tank cover panel under the rear seat. Pull the connector and check for power at the plug. If no power you can try making a short jumper wire out of an old fused ciggy lighter plug and try feeding battery current directly to the pump. Could also be a bad ground on it if you do have power at the plug.
nsnivaseeker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:10 am Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I think I understand. One thing I noticed was the gas gauge on the dash works and shows half a tank of gas but the pump certainly doesn't power up. But I'll check power to it tonight.
GadgetBoy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:09 am Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the fuel injection system isn't getting power. Check the 3 fuses mentioned earlier actually have 12V.

Where did you get your new loom and what vehicle was it for? The reason I ask is looms for the GM injected vehicle are no longer available and if you haven't got an injection specific loom there won't be a power feed to it to the injection system.

Very simple quick check. Does the <Check Engine> light illuminate when you switch the ignition on without starting the car?
http://www.ladaniva.co.uk
crb247

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:02 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey GB!

Hope you are well.
nsnivaseeker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:05 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the wires from lada power and to be honest i don't remember which it was for... As for the check engine light i can't remember for sure if it comes on when i turn the key but it does come on when i try to turn the car on.

Also thanks for the help both of you.

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Technical Information - Do you need help with your Lada? All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: