Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index Lada USA Discussion Board
International Lada Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
LadaUSA Store

open top carburetor

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Technical Information - Do you need help with your Lada?
View previous topic :: View next topic
vinyljunkie77003

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:03 pm Post subject: open top carburetor Reply with quote

The 1986 Lada Niva i bought has a Toyota 3k carburetor in it. The previous owner decided to swap out to a new carburetor for better gas mileage i guess. The problem is, to get this carburetor to fit, he needed to make a riser/fitting in a machine shop to accomodate the smaller carb. The problem is that the adapter that he made is a few inches tall. This places the carb up near the hood making it impossible to put in a filter top, as there is maybe 1/2 inch clearance between the hood and the top of the carburetor now.
But its not good to leave the carburetor wide open like that, especially in a dusty/dirty are like where i live.

Any suggestions on what can be done?

GadgetBoy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:01 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with the Lada carbs. Try and get an original one and refit it.
http://www.ladaniva.co.uk
vinyljunkie77003

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:28 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

well im not saying there is anything wrong with the original. Im not sure why he switched it, he told me it was for gas mileage, but maybe it went bad and needed replacing, or who knows.

But rather than spend a hundred bucks or 200 or whatever on going back to an old one, and wasting a brand new couple month old carburetor, i was hoping to find a solution with what i have if at all possible.
GadgetBoy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:48 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get some very slim pancake air filters but if you only have 1/2" clearance I doubt even one of those would fit.

The gas mileage statement makes no sense. The carb was never designed for that engine so it's unlikely it will be running anywhere close to peak efficiency.

I'm not suggesting you get a new carb. You should be able to track down a used Lada carb easy enough, They're easily serviceable and designed for the engine.
vinyljunkie77003

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

well unfortunately i am in Nicaragua, which means i cant get anything shipped to me from another country. and if i do, it will probably get stolen, or if i can get it to me, ill pay double the value in customs/taxes for importing.
Its not impossible, but if its not already here, tracking one down is difficult and expensive.
and buying used here is dicey because people treat stuff like crap usually and everything is pieced together (for the same reasons as above), so "gently" used doesnt exist.

If it comes down to it, i guess ill have to start looking, i was just hoping for an alternative, maybe less than ideal, but workable option.
GadgetBoy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:24 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

The only other thing I can suggest is getting the adapter remanufactured.
gogmorgo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:18 am Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't get the adapter made smaller, or find the appropriate carb (what did the other guy do with the original?) you can always cut a hole in your hood, and/or fit a snorkel with a filter in it... if such a thing exists in Nicaragua.
If you can't get the intended parts, the only way to fix pieced-together crap that doesn't work properly and/or is a safety compromise (i.e. it might set your car on fire) is by piecing more crap together in such a way that it's not a compromise.
cowboyjimmi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:22 am Post subject: may have a carb Reply with quote

hi there im up here in canada and i may have carb out in a box here somewhere i will look and see and get back to you

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Technical Information - Do you need help with your Lada? All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: