Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index Lada USA Discussion Board
International Lada Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
LadaUSA Store

How reliable can a Lada be?

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions and general discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic
Eastern Bloc Party

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:12 am Post subject: How reliable can a Lada be? Reply with quote

I've been lusting after a Lada for more than a decade now, ever since I made the plunge into driving only vintage cars. I drove an awful modern Honda as my first car and then one day I realized, "This is a grey coffin on four wheels." Which is an accurate assessment of the Honda Insight, everything is grey. So I sold that and bought a Fiat 124 Sport Coupe' which was most excellent but always broken down, from there I've been tinkering with vintage Saabs but they're getting few and far between now. I'm curious to know, how reliable can a Lada be? If I import a semi-restored Zhiguli or Niva can I really rely on that as my only car? I ride motorbikes as well so I rarely put more than 3,000 miles on a car per anum but I need something that will always start, always run and rarely break down. I've got an IMZ-Ural and several Jawa and CZ motorcycles so I'm pretty familiar with Eastern European quality standards. That is to say they are very good, but require maintenance and attention in a way that most Westerners are not familiar with. A 70's or early 80's Lada Zhiguli 1500 is my dream car, it's as though they took the jet age/modernist design of the original 124 and then only improved on it with a heavier body and more robust engine. Anyway, please give me your thoughts. Can a Lada 1500 be reliable enough to drive on every rainy day and make it through typical American traffic?

GadgetBoy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:52 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can a Lada 1500 be reliable enough to drive on every rainy day and make it through typical American traffic?

Yes.
http://www.ladaniva.co.uk
Eastern Bloc Party

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:15 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Brevity is the soul of wit.
GadgetBoy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:33 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Why thank you.

Seriously though .....

Stick contactless electronic ignition in (can be done with readily available genuine Lada parts), service as per the service schedule and a Lada will be more reliable than any vehicle out there. I drove a Niva as a daily driver for 3 years and it never let me down, not once. There is a Niva in the Australian outback that, at the last count, had 850'000 Kms on it - original engine and transmission.

Ladas were designed for Russia. In most of Russia breaking down isn't an option! You'll die before someone drives past to notice you.
well-lada-da

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll admit I've gone back and forth a bit about selling my VW camper and getting into a 2102 or a 2101. I'm all the way out in California and, aside from loving just how funky these are, have wondered what I'd face in terms of sourcing parts in case something failed.
GadgetBoy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:11 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of outlets in Miami that do Russian parts for Cubans to bring home. There's Lada Spares UK ( http:\\www.lada.co.uk ) and a number of reliable european and Russian suppliers that people on here use.

As long as you're prepared to swallow the shipping costs there's no problem.
well-lada-da

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:14 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's about what I reckoned. So long as there are reliable sources, I definitely understand I'm going to have to give it up for shipping.

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions and general discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: