Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index Lada USA Discussion Board
International Lada Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
LadaUSA Store

What type of motor oil should I use?

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Technical Information - Do you need help with your Lada?
View previous topic :: View next topic
georgiev_pl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:21 am Post subject: What type of motor oil should I use? Reply with quote

Hello,
I have a question- Can I use Castrol Magnitec 15w40 in my lada 1200's engine? I have heard that this motor oil is not advisable to be used in lada engines.

33rus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:11 am Post subject: Reply with quote

10W40 semi-synthetic is what I use. Mineral is obviously no problem either.
bornniva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:15 am Post subject: oil Reply with quote

hello

10w40 semi synthetic is better used in a cold climate

15w 40 semi synt is better used in a warm climate . (thikker oil)

but the castrol 15w40 is a very good oil you can use it ,no problem. Very Happy

greetz rocky from holland
gogmorgo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:22 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

40 weight seems to be the best bet, from everything I've read. As to the first pair of numbers, indicating the cold weight, it would depend on your climate. I'm running 5w40 in the winter because it's not unusual for me to see -40 or colder. In the spring I switch out to 15w40 for the summer. If it gets colder where you live but not cold enough to really worry about a block heater (rarely gets down to -20C/0F) you'll likely be fine running 10W40 year round, or 15W40 if it never gets below freezing.

I also use a diesel rated oil (i.e. Rotella) because of the added anti-wear additives, basically a greater zinc content, although I've read that part of the reason for reduced zinc content in gasoline-rated oils is because zinc isn't great for your catalytic converter. So maybe don't use a diesel oil if your Lada is subject to emissions testing.

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Technical Information - Do you need help with your Lada? All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: