Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index Lada USA Discussion Board
International Lada Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
LadaUSA Store

Wanted: some advice

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Parts/Cars For Sale/Wanted Ads
View previous topic :: View next topic
Nolan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:51 am Post subject: Wanted: some advice Reply with quote

Hi guys, I am weighing some options and would appreciate some input.

I spent 14 years looking for a Niva of my own, and one day I got lucky. A mint condition 21214 that had been sitting in a garage all its life. In fact it had been sitting so long the engine had seized, and I got it for a great deal. Put some money into it having the engine stripped, machined, polished, replaced every bearing and seal.
It ran great, maybe even better than new. I was as happy as a kid on Christmas, drove it for a full three days. Suddenly some baby ducks walked out in front of me and I put it into a pole. Everyone said I should have ran them over, and I probably should but that just isn't me.

Now I am weighing the cost of having a body shop pull out the front end and repair the sub-frame vs importing another one. I figure I can avoid all the complication of importing the vehicle as I am only really interested in the chassis.

Does anyone have any experience sourcing and shipping a Niva to the west coast (Vancouver)? What would it cost?

Does anyone have a good condition chassis they would be looking to sell? I am looking for something rust free and the newer? model with the tail lights beside the hatch rather than under it.

Thanks for any help.

porschev812

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be tempted to straighten it out since clean,no rust...How deep does the hit go?-does it still steer and roll well ?engine displaced out of position any?
Nolan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:48 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I was planning on straightening it out, but then my buddy decided to move it by dragging it while I wasn't around. He hooked on one of those eyelets that you aren't supposed to attach to behind the back wheel. Ripped the back open like a tin can, bending the rear door up while he was at it.

Regardless, the entire engine mount was displaced and the engine is slightly twisted, the frame crimped right under the passenger floor, crumpling the interior and warping the door frame. The front was a big job as it is, but adding the repairs to the rear will likely make it cheaper to just ship over a new one. I just would like to know what I am getting myself in to.
porschev812

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:50 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep,that was pretty much FUBAR before your buddy messed up the back end...33rus on here brings over containers of Russian vehicles and parts-He would be a good guy to contact about a bodyshell or complete Niva. Years ago,someone on here found a junkyard in Canada with about 12-15 Nivas,but I think they were all the pre-1995 earlier bodystyle.
33rus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:44 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for remembering me Smile indeed, I import Ladas at least once a year since 2011, last time we imported a container a couple of months ago - in December 2018. There was a Niva in there btw. I guess to date it remains the newest Niva registered in Canada - year 2000. So, about your question - yes it is doable, pretty much with any reasonable budget. However, it is impossible to bring a decent Niva to a Canadian port for less than 6K Canadian. The registration process itself is fairly straight forward. I am willing to share my experience (imported a 2106 in 2016 through Halifax), Nick (who imported a container of Ladas in December through Toronto) will be happy to share his story. I used to ship parts as well, but if there is a considerable amount of those - a separate customs declaration is required and additional payment to secure them in a container. So we used to just fill cars with parts, thus avoiding these two unnecessary expenses.
Nolan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:55 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 33rus.
The $6k you mention, does that include fees to import a vehicle?
Am I able to avoid any fees if it is just a chassis?
33rus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:40 am Post subject: Reply with quote

There will always be customs and port fees. Always:) 6K figure comprises purchasing a vehicle and delivering it to a Canadian port. Tax upon arrival is 13% of purchase price.
Anatoly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:38 pm Post subject: importing Reply with quote

I also import Ladas and other Russian cars once or twice a year and we import by 3 or 4 containers... most of the cars are orders ... Usually, we charge $1,000 or 1,500 per car and it takes about 5,000-6,000 to ship it to your door. Thus you got to take into consideration how much you want to spend on the car, Nivas in good condition are hard to come by. Although we have a restoration company that can completely restore a car frame up for about $7,000 and it will me Mercedes quality with functional A/C. ( all pricing is an estimate, all subject to change +/- .

Most cars we have are coming from Belarus, Lithuania and some but rarely from Ukraine. Usually, they all arrive to Texas and then shipped to other states. East cost shipping to your door, of course, will be cheaper.
Nolan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:15 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!
I was under the impression that Nivas are still being manufactured.
Is it possible to buy a chassis from the manufacturer? That would be an odd question in Canada but maybe Russia works differently.

If I am going to this trouble and expense I want to strip it down and galvanize/protect the body. My current drive train is in great condition, transferring it to another chassis should be easy.

Can you guys recommend a shipping company?
Are there any online resources you can link related to the paperwork involved?
33rus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:26 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes more economical/financial sense to get a car rather than chassis. Brand new Lada parts (meaning not some basic crap but let's say axles, engine, transmission and such) cost a lot, I don't know who buys them. IMHO.

Post new topicReply to topic Lada USA Discussion Board Forum Index -> Parts/Cars For Sale/Wanted Ads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: